Well it seems pretty weird when I think that this time last week we were just arriving in Iquitos airport, and here we are sat in Iquitos! Today is our first day off, very well deserved because we´ve been working so hard! Friday night both of us were asked to look after one of the casa´s whilst the tía went to the hospital to look after the baby there, so we had to stay over night! in casa uno which also happens to be the only house of all boys, their tía had left only the good boys and the naughtier ones spent the night in another house. We slept in the tías bedroom, Alex managed to get into the baby cot! Which apparently was surprisingly comfortable and we both had pillows which was a luxury as our casa doesn´t have any. Despite our worries the kids were all well behaved and in bed asleep by half 9. I managed to come back with 10 mosquito bites from just that one night, which are all unbelieveably itchy and the kids are loving the massive red blotches I have aqquired as none of them get bites because from babies they have built up a resistance to it!
I also managed my second lot of hand washing yesterday and definitely think I am improving, the kids love helping me hang out my clothes as they are so different and larger then all of theirs!
Last night we finally got some time to ourselves and relax, and then managed to miss tea which had been made earlier because of the rain, however one of the casas had some spare so offered us this. We accepted gratefully only to find out when we got back to our house, we had rice and chicken feet for tea! Surprisingly fleshy but we still could only bring ourselves to try a tiny tiny bit of it. I think that might take some getting used to!
We also found a frog in our room last night, hiding behind the door, which alex managed to sweep out into the hall and then it hopped away into the fields, not going to lie I was not a lot of help at all. He was super close to my bed so I freaked out and let her deal with it. which she did pretty well, to give her credit.
have put up some pictures on facebook of the kids, and tried to do it here but the computer went crazy so will have to be another time, lo siento.
hasta luego xx
Chicken feet um sounds lovely . Dont forget to use your insect spray don't want u getting malaria ! Glad your washing skills are improving it might come in handy for when you are in Sheffield - mum xx
ReplyDelete