So been in a really really good this week and I think it's definitely reflected back on what we've been doing with the kids because I've been a lot more active. We've decided to set up some arty craft session on a wednesday, this week was finger painting-messy and didn't go to plan but they loved it. Then next week because they're all obsessed with everything Indian we're going to do a whole week about Diwali with them soon! We want to make little divas with them and maybe dress them up in sari's made from tablecloths...still a work in progress!
We met some of the kids who do a computer class in the evening in town on Wednesday which they loved and then got the bus back with them to make sure we know where we're supposed to get off! Then on Friday doing the school run we lost two more kids. They're sisters and after waiting outside school for 40 miutes we worked out they really weren't there, back in the Aldea the tías think that they left to go and live with their family in Iquitos. Their mum is in jail and apparently doesn't want them staying with their other family which was why they were in the Aldea but from what i've worked out, Jennifer was pretty desperate to stay with her family. It was quite a shock that they've gone, especially for me because I was getting pretty close to her-she's become my substitue Sabrina, they were so similar and the same age- she was lovely I'm really going to miss having her around!
Other exciting news, in town on Friday we bought our flights for Christmas. After proper gap year searching of course...we are now officially flying out of Iquitos on the 19th December to Lima where we fly out to Tumbes and are hoping to stay there for a while, then we'll get a bus over the boarder up to Guayaquil for actual Christmas. Alex has a friend living in Guayaquil so we've got a free nights stay there which is pretty exciting too :) I'm already counting down the days! Friday night was Peru against Paraguay for the World Cup qualifyer and we watched it one the casa with all the teenage boys which was pretty funny, I did get bored by half time though and go back to our house...All the boys were getting stroppy with all our english comments over the players distracting them from the game-guess guys are the same about football everywhere! Although it was massively different to English football-not that I'm an expert, but Paraguayan football players definitely have dirtier tactics then anyone else!
Saturday was the day we went off for our lunch date with one of the ladies who works at the Aldea. Her daughter turned up to drop off some food for the other tías, we'd been told we would be having a lift back with her, which she had no idea about so we left feeling pretty nervous that we would turn up at someone's house completly uninvited. It all turned out fine though, the food was absolutly lovely-it was freshly barbecued chicken with the standard rice and potatoes that I swear accompanies every meal here. They were plying us with beer AND considering we hadn't had anything to eat since 7 in the morning it went down pretty quick. We made friends with one of the guests who told us about his friend's jungle hostely place that we could go on, a 6 hour journey down the river and then you get to go out on trips during the day and it was a lot cheaper than any of the other companies we've found! The girls from Pucallapa have booked off the same time so fingers crossed our jungle trip will be with them as well.
I also had a really good chat with all the tías yesterday which was really nice, I feel more a part of their little group now and have noticed some massive improvement in my spanish that I can actually hold a conversation with them for like an hour! One of the tías has also turned out to be a professional hairdresser, so I've got a hair date planned for before Christmas-I'm sure your hair grows quicker in the sun!
Today-our official day off we headed down to a smaller town on the river where there is supposed to be a bit of a beach on the side of the river, we're both gagging for a swim of some kind. Only to find out once we'd arrived that the river is already too high and the beach has gone...We got a really cool boat ride out of it though instead, an absolutly huge river boat with just the driver and us two on it. He took us down the river,where we saw a really little touristy village with some gorgous wooden huts (see my facebook pictures) Which looked amazing and I'm hoping that is what our jungle trip will include. We found a cool little cafe and had lunch for 6 sol! Which is like 1.20 or something? My first jungley food, Juanes which are banana leaves with rice and chicken wrapped in the middle and a gorgeous fruit smoothie drink! I've become a convert to Maracuya juice, which is Passion fruit but with a bit of sugar added too, it's amazing we pretty much live off it here and I might be making up my own version back in England because I love it.
Can't really think of much more, so will end it here.Having a lovely time though, missing everyone!
Chao :) xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment