Search This Blog

Sunday, 6 May 2012

Busy bees

I wrote last week about how I'd been feeling a bit weird and slightly homesick last week, but you'll all be glad to know that this week has been the complete and utter opposite. We've been chock full of crazy exciting activities with the kids and as well as feeling absolutely shattered I've honestly felt a LOT happier and enjoyed everything ten times as much. We've gone ludoteca (games room, play time) crazy and had about a million Disney picture colouring sessions, which to be brutally honest I think Alex enjoyed more than the kids did-she was getting into her crayon colouring! We also did a computer class on Thursday which was awesome, we got four kids into the little computer room in the aldea-no Internet before you get excited and really slow caterpillar computers but they absolutely loved it. It made me feel like we've given them this amazing chance to try something out that all their friends around school will have the daily opportunity but for them it's yet another restraint from the Aldea. It made me so happy seeing them having those same lessons and games that everyone in England completely takes for granted, seeing them learn how to make their fonts all swirly and all the colours of the rainbow, it just made me appreciate the opportunities I've been given here to make an imprint on their lives.

In Peru Mother's Day is 13th May so this week we've been finishing all the cards we're making for the tías and it was all going along smoothly until we found out that because it falls on a Sunday the Aldea are celebrating on Thursday which means we're now having a bit of a mad panic rush! The boy's modulo are working on a dance to perform for the día de la Madre and we've been asked to decorate the hall for whatever will be going down...it's looking like a big big celebration so next week I'll update you on how our cards worked out!

On Friday I had my first solo therapy trip with Jorge (our little boy who has downs) and Rosario, both  have only recently started and are having speech therapy. Rosario who I could barely understand when we first got here because it was literally just grunts. The only word I could distinguish was tía, but she's progressed so so fast, she's gained so much confidence so is trying to talk a lot more and I can happily say that you can understand the majority of what she's saying, which is awesome because she's such a happy, smiley girl that I'm so happy, hopefully sometime soon she'll be able to talk normally.

ALSO ALSO my super exciting news! Project Trust have agreed to fund our visa run at the end of may, which means that all the worrying we've been doing recently about having to leave our project so early in the middle of June to get out of the country before our visa runs out IS NO MORE. Which is a massive relief because it means I get to spend more time with my niños although that's just going to make it even harder to leave at the end. So we're off to La Paz, we'll be away from the aldea from the 23rd till the 31st and are going to brave a 26 ish hour bus ride from Lima all the way over to La Paz-with a partner who gets sick at anything, has really bad travel sickness and turns into a sleeping zombie on bus journeys, it's going to be great! I'm going to be so bored I'll probably end up talking to anyone that will listen to me whilst Alex is cocooned in her headphone world-not to mention all the food we're going to have to stock up on! ahah, will have to keep you posted on that... Apart form the 24hours on a bus, which I can't say I'm looking forward too but it means we'll get to catch up with the Bolivian volunteers which will be really exciting to hear all about their life!

In other news, Yaiza one of our Spanish girlies who's been ill for ages came back on Thursday-a day early from Milagros because she's finally been diagnosed with Bronco pneumonia so is now on a drip and a nurse from Milagros has been coming over every day to administer it. However even though she's been on it since Thursday she's still got a fever-slightly scary and it's worrying us quite a bit after all these failed consultations so much so that they're thinking  about going home early. Obviously fingers crossed that doesn't happen but will keep you updated!

Hasta pronto, we're off to visit a manatee sanctuary!!
Chao xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment