Search This Blog

Sunday, 20 May 2012

HOME


AS IF it’s already halfway through May, it feels like this is already the end because next week we’re off on our Bolivian road trip adventure so we won’t even notice the end…scary scary stuff.
Had a pretty fulfilling week, lots of Ludoteca sessions and looking after Modulo’s which I’ve really enjoyed although it goes hand in hand with the crazy amounts of tiredness as well. This week I discovered that Peruvian teenage girls have a surprising gusto for Bingo. Of all the random things in Peru that’s definitely got to be one of them, that even here in the Amazonian jungle, Bingo is still popular! Also up there in surprises, my appreciation of cheese. My wonderful mother remembered back in April my moaning about the lack of cheese in Iquitos and so in my Kindle parcel she snuck in some snack sized cheddar cheese, it was AWESOME. My Monday lunch was a cheese and marmite sandwich, for someone who wasn’t a big marmite fan at home it was seriously yummy.
We had Angelica’s 17th birthday on Wednesday, splashed out on some sweeties and a funky clip in hair braid for her presents-only in Iquitos would clip in hair braids still be popular fashions, I love jungle trends. We watched the latest twilight film with all the girls in the comedor-pirate film of course so crap quality, it amazes sometimes how much they enjoy films where you can barely see the faces! I had a proper feeling of family, sat there with all the girls.
Then on Saturday we did a little game with all the kids, Alex and I hid pictures of parrots all cut up for 4 teams around the Aldea that they had to find and put back together. We got the winning team and absolutely huge huge bottle of Kola Real (an Iquitos version of Coke only not as nice) and it was so lovely seeing them all running round like crazy, showing their competitive streaks
More so this week than any other so far I’ve had a feeling of readiness, I’m getting more and more excited to be home, in my house and in my bed. I wouldn’t call it homesickness because I’m not missing home, nor have I had enough here yet- I’ve just accepted that in august I’ll be home. I’m ready to see my friends and my family, to go out with them, to sit and chat face to face instead of having a skype conversation where they can barely hear me and a fuzzy webcam picture. I know that leaving here is going to be the horriblest, toughest thing I’ve ever had to do in my life and that does scare me, but it also makes me excited to see how I’m going to be able to use my strength and determination and all the other stupid little things I’ve accumulated over my 9 months out here back at home. Yesterday, sat in my ridiculously comfy rocking chair, looking after modulo nueve (which is where my absolute all time favourite baby, Maria Isabelle lives) I was hit by how much I love my kids, washing my Maria (aka. Chao Bella) which ended up looking like I’d had a bath as well and that I enjoyed just as much as her, I realized how seriously attached I am to these kids and I honestly have no idea what it’s going to be like leaving them knowing that I’m never going to see them again. But I’m preparing myself for it because I want to make sure I make the most of EVERY SINGLE SECOND of the 50ish days I have left in the Aldea.  
So hasta pronto todos. And it really really will be pronto until I see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment